From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Tree navigation & info display proposals
Date Tue, 31 May 2011 19:23:41 GMT
On 31/05/2011 13:09, Alessandro Novarini wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My 2 cents:
> I don't know whether the metaphor of the file system was used on purpose or
> came "by chance";

Neither do I.

> if you want to stick with it, I think that
> #1 Are the concepts of domains and "directory" related? if so, and if you
> want to collapse the commands, how would you specify your intentions? Would
> you add some parameter to the commands?

Given that 'directories' are an abstraction anyway, I'm not sure why
we'd separate them.

> So, for example, how would you change to the domain 'foo' when in your
> current directory there's also a directory named 'foo'?

It's a tree, so we'd have to allow duplicate names that are nested.
We could use the '/' separator notation; if it prepends the path it
means 'start at the beginning, ie select a domain'

> #2 I agree that maybe you could add more information about what's happening,
> but I have two use cases in mind that puzzles me:
>
> a) I'm in a directory deep in the structure, and I type
> *cd ..*
>
> *then a llist is displayed; again, I type*
>
> *cd ..*
>
> *and again another list is displayed.*
>
> *Doing this more will fill your console with a lot of information you didn't
> really need.*

Yes, agreed.  (It was a tentative suggestion, because I'm not sure it's
right either, hence asking for comments.)

What if we just display info on initial connection, to get people started?

> b)
> *cd foo*
>
> *a list of item is displayed*
>
> *do something*
> *do something else*
> *do something else*
> *do something else*
> (the list goes out of view)
>
> now how can I recall the list? I don't think you want to keep ls, do you?
>
> I hope my thoughts are clear and correct somehow.

Perfectly, thanks for your input.