From Stuart Monteith <stuk...@stoo.me.uk>
Subject Fwd: Re: Kato status (Was: Actively retiring projects)
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 10:39:50 GMT
Hi,
	I'm cross posting this between kato-dev and kato-spec as it is
important to both the Kato incubator and JSR-326. It is a discussion on
the general incubator mailing list.

There is also a discussion, initiated by Robert, about parking the Kato
incubator "[VOTE] Park Kato". There have also been discussions on the
reporting for Kato.

Either way, please read. A decision will have to be made soon about what
to do about Kato. I'd rather we decide rather than having that decision
made for us.

Regards,
    Stuart

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Kato status (Was: Actively retiring projects)
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 13:13:23 +0000
From: Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com>
To: general@incubator.apache.org

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Jukka Zitting
<jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There seems to be some people assuming that the IPMC wants to
> terminate the Kato podling. Looking back I wonder if my original
> status review was the source of this:

:-)

> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 9:36 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>>> 2008-11-06 Kato
>>
>> S: Zero activity.
>> R: Terminate.
>
> This was based on looking at commit and kato-dev@ list activity, both
> zero or very low for an extended amount of time. There was no recent
> status report.

AFAICT Soon after entry, the standards process stalled. This stopped
active development. Most of the activity after then has been the
community trying to find a way around the standards issue, with little
success. Progress depends on Oracle coming to a decision (one way or
the other) about the future of the standard. This might happen today,
tomorrow or in ten years time.

Robert