From Steve Poole <spoole...@googlemail.com>
Subject Update
Date Sat, 20 Feb 2010 11:26:43 GMT
Greetings all,

I recently received confirmation from Oracle that they would be examining
their participation in JSR 326.    I don't have any more information to give
you yet but will do so as soon as I have it.  Given the obvious hard work
taking place in bringing Sun and Oracle together I think its going to take
some time to get a definitive answer.  I'm particularly mindful of the
recent announcement<http://www.infoworld.com/d/developer-world/oracle-set-merge-java-virtual-machines-935>
about merging Hotspot and JRockit , no doubt that will effect the timescale
and eventual outlook of any response from Oracle.

There are three types of outcome we can predict  -  "yes" , "no" and
"later".   It seems to me that regardless of the response I need to pause
the discussion about the Snapshot API until a response is received:  If
Oracle say "yes" then we need them involved  in the discussion from the
beginning.  If Oracle say "no" or "later" then we would have to seriously
consider if the Snapshot API should be included in this JSR.

So with all that in mind I'm going to pause the Snapshot API discussion for
now and focus on getting the rest of the JSR completed.   I will publish an
updated spec document  shortly for us to work though.

--
Steve