From Steve Poole <spoole...@googlemail.com>
Subject Replacing ImagePointer references in the Java Runtime API - first pass
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:20:24 GMT
The Handle interface below is at the core of my proposal for a replacement
for places where ImagePointer is used in the JavaRuntime API.    Though it's
not all of it -  the JavaRuntime interface is also updated:

The getObjectByAddress(long) method is replaced with a
getObjectByHandle(handle) method.

A new  Handle createHandle(EntityType type,long reference) method has been
added to allow for the creation of these handles from external form data.
EntityType is an enum of Java Runtime API types  (currently only javaobject,
javaclass, monitor)

These changes are in the codebase and seem to work ok.  We do need to
resolve the getAddress() method on JavaLocation to determine what it's form
should be.

Also - what else could we call this other than Handle?  (I don't really want
to use the pointer word but handle seems so old fashioned :-))

---
javax.tools.diagnostics.runtime.java.Handle :

/**
 * Describes a smart pointer that can be used to extract
 * a reference to an entity within a JavaRuntime instance
 * and can be presented to the same JavaRuntime instance to
 * reconstitute a semantically equivilent version of the original
 * entity.
 *
 * The handle is expected to be used to facilitate round tripping
 * where identity information about the entity needs to recorded outside of
 * the analysing program (perhaps in a database) and then, at some later
 * stage , the original object needs to be recovered.
 *
 *
 */
public interface Handle {

    /**
     * Returns an implementation specific reference number that
     * can be used (in conjunction with a type specification) to
     * recreate the relevant API entity from a dump.
     *
     * @return reference number
     */
    public long getAddress();

    /**
     * Returns an enumeration that indicates the type of object that
     * this handle refers to. Never returns null.
     *
     */
    public EntityType getType();

}