From Steve Poole <spoole...@googlemail.com>
Subject Replacing ImagePointer references in the Java Runtime API
Date Fri, 08 Jan 2010 10:22:08 GMT
I'm making made some good inroads into updating the API to match what we
discussed last year in decoupling the Image API from the JavaRuntime API,
A problem I've hit is that we can't use just a long to represent a
JavaObject id instead of an ImagePointer (which was one of the suggestions)
.

Currently the API for JavaObject lets you get an ImagePointer back to
represent its "id".    The JavaRuntime class allows you to provide an
ImagePointer and get back a JavaObject.   The original
idea was that we replaced these mechanisms with one where you could get a
long as an JavaObject Id and could provide JavaRuntime with a long and get
back the corresponding JavaObject.

It turns out that there are other places where we use the ImagePointer as an
"id" and do the eqivilent round tripping.  I need to fix them too.   Forcing
a implementation to reconstitute some of these other entities from a single
number is heavy handed - there is other context required in some places and
would require  an implementation to maintain a single name space (or is that
number space) for all of its entities.

To remove those dependencies on ImagePointer and provide a sensible round
tripping mechanism it seems better to go with a handle mechanism instead.
I'm going to prototype that  implementation but I thought I should explain
why I'm doing it that way up front.

--
Steve