From David Griffiths <david.griffi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JSR 326 and Apache Kato - A "state of the nation" examination
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:49:00 GMT
Hi Alois, could you please give some examples of the kind of
information you would like to see in a heap memory snapshot? You
earlier mentioned monitoring the number of instances of a particular
class. Do you think that obtaining that kind of info via JVMTI (eg
IterateOverInstancesOfClass) is insufficient?

Cheers,

Dave

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Alois Reitbauer
<alois.reitbauer@dynatrace.com> wrote:
> David,
>
> good point. What we mostly see are heap memory issues. However from time to time there
are native memory problems as well.  So I would see them as a second priority item from the
point of an application developer. In the native areas the most prominent problems I am aware
of are resource leaks like sockets, (file) handles etc.  Another memory related issues is
what I would name "perm gen" diagnosis - while being well aware that this is a Sun term.  Understanding
which classes got loaded and how big they are is an issue I also see now more frequently.