From Stuart Monteith <stuk...@stoo.me.uk>
Subject Re: Snapshot Application development usecases
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2010 17:44:51 GMT
Happy New Year everyone!

The usecases are interesting, the problem is how to find and dump what
you want and no more.

Ways in which objects may be selected for dumping:

     o By classloader
         This is can separate object instances at runtime by virtue of
their classes having been
         defined by the same classloader.

     o By class package
         Simply filter dumped classes matching a given filter name.

     o By class annotation
         Classes could be specially marked with an annotation that is
visible at runtime.

     o By object instance.
        A dump would have to be initiated /somewhere/. Realistically,
we'd have to start from a particular
         object, class. An array could be passed to cater for multiple
roots.

     o By Thread.
         Using a thread and all of its roots would be practicable if
they were accessible.

     o By field value:
         Restrict dump to objects with a field containing a certain
value, determined at runtime.

     o By distance from the root object.
         For example, given an object, only retrieve objects three
references away.

These could be used in various combinations. Dumping all objects of
classes in package com.silly.donkey
is all very well, but this could be restricted to only those annotated
with @DumpMe and further restricted
to only those reachable from a particular instance of
"com.silly.donkey.HeeHaw" .

Regards,
     Stuart

--