From Steve Poole <spoole...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Question about JSR 326
Date Mon, 05 Oct 2009 08:27:46 GMT
Hi  - thanks for taking the trouble to ask us directly.   Looks like we need
to do a better job of communicating the objectives of the API !

Now to answer your questions.

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 8:11 AM, Ankit bhatt <ankit.bhatt@elitecore.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I have gone through JCP site for understanding of JSR 326, as well I have
> also gone through Kato site. I am bit confused about the main purpose for
> this JSR. As far as I can understand, there are APIs available for
> Profiling
> in Java, like HPROF and JPDA, but they are capable enough to track JVM when
> it's running and the purpose can be like Performance tuning or JVM class
>

> So JSR 326 will be used in the situations when JVM crashed due to some
> Errors, is it? It will provide API support for tracking such kind of Events
> as well will provide details about JVM state at that point, is it?

You are  almost correct - at the highest level  the API is simply intended
to be an abstraction layer over diagnostics artifacts (ie dumps). That means
that if you have a dump from a JVM (such as HPROF or a corefile etc)  you
will be able to view the data in a standard form.   Dumps are normally
associated with failing applications or JVMs but there are reasons why that
is not always true.  Dumps contain a great deal of useful information that
can help with monitoring live systems.   So this API is not just about
helping you understand crashed JVMs - it will be used as part of trend
analysis.

The API has two basic layers at the moment and may gain a third one before
completion.  The  first layer presents information about a process (such as
environmental variables, loaded libraries,  native threads and access to
process memory info )    The second layer provides an abstraction of a Java
runtime which means you can find out about things like  loaded classes, Java
threads, GC root information and what objects are on the heap.

Hope that answers your questions -  please ask again if its not clear.

--
Steve