From Steve Poole <spoole...@googlemail.com>
Subject Telling one JavaRuntime from another
Date Wed, 23 Sep 2009 14:36:37 GMT
Random thought here.

We've said that in this API you can't use ==  but have to use .equals().
This is a consequence of the fact that we are trying to squeeze big dumps
into small heaps and want to allow implements the ability to only cache what
they need..    So I was just thinking about how to resolve the question of
determining if one Javaruntime instance was the same as another.   It's
horribly possible that for somecases you'd have to do a complete and
exhaustive graph comparision of all the objects in the runtime instance.

The JavaRuntime API does't have any method to allow you to get any fast,
dump unique information -  such as the underlying Image or even a dump
timestamp.     Given that we want to support the JavaRuntime class as a 1st
class entity like Image we need to add something to resolve this problem.

How about adding a method to Image and JavaRuntime that returns a unique
identifer , one that would be different but persistent  (ie you'd get the
same value if you opened the same dump file)   Maybe then its simply a
method that exposes the file the dump is read from?

Cheers

Steve