From Steve Poole <spoole...@googlemail.com>
Subject Round tripping entity identity
Date Tue, 08 Sep 2009 10:00:23 GMT
It's important for performance and scalability reasons that the API does not
force the loading of a complete dump into memory.

What that means in practise is that the application using the API will need
to be able to read entities in a "random access" manner.  That in turn means
that we need a mechanism that can provide a "handle" to an entity and a way
for the API to convert the handle back into an full representation of the
entity in question.

Since the handle will probably have to be stored outside of Java (ie in a
database)   the handle has to  be a primitive data type.

Is this a reasonable view?

The MAT tool is the only example I have to date where this mechanism is
needed  -  I believe they use a long rather than a String.

Are there other uses we should consider?  -  What about cross dump
corrolations?

Cheers

Steve