From "Alois Reitbauer" <alois.reitba...@dynatrace.com>
Subject RE: "Snapshot" support
Date Mon, 21 Sep 2009 20:55:39 GMT
Steve,

we will be happy to contribute our use cases. I propose to start with
memory dumps first and thread dumps later. Either me or Andi will come
back with some concrete use cases.

- Alois

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Poole [mailto:spoole167@googlemail.com]
Sent: Dienstag, 08. September 2009 06:31
To: kato-spec@incubator.apache.org
Subject: "Snapshot" support

One of the capabilities that this API is intended to provide is support
for
"Snapshots"

This is  based on the idea that for various reasons the dumps that we
can
get today can be too big, take too long to generate , not have the right
information etc.

Also we need to recognise that dumps are not only produced to help
diagnose
a failure.  Some users consume dumps as part of monitoring a live
system.

So we need to discuss (at least)

a)  How dump content configuration would work
b)  What sorts of data are needed in a snapshot dump

This is the largest outstanding piece of the API.   Now with Alois and
Andreas on board we can start to clarify usecases and  resolve the
design

Cheers

Steve