From Steve Poole <spoole...@googlemail.com>
Subject Design Fundamentals - DOM vs SAX
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 13:40:32 GMT
The DTFJ API that is being contributed to Apache can be seen as a "DOM"
approach to life.  The API gives you a hard model of the structure of a dump
and its contents.   It works well but there are a few reasons why a more
event driven or "SAX" like approach might be better.     I not suggesting we
have to decide between the DOM or SAX style as an exclusive all or nothing
choice:  it's just worth considering what areas would benefit from an event
driven approach.

I can see two areas where it might make sense.

1 - Its evident that with large amounts of data its important to be able to
generally monitor progress of an operation and have some ability to cancel
it.  We would need to offer a progress monitor as an optional parameter on
what we consider to be long running actions.

2 - Searching for objects within an artifact could also benefit from an
event driven approach - it would potentially allow us to reduce the amount
of data and entities created if the user could plug in at a lower level.
The visitor type would have to appropriate to the data being visited of
course.

Any comments?

Steve