From Adam Pilkington <pilkington.a...@googlemail.com>
Subject Process Explorer User Stories
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 10:07:19 GMT
Hi all, here is a first draft of the list of user stories for the process
explorer tool (the designations at the beginning i.e. PEx are just there so
we can identify which stories we are discussing).

PE1:     As a Service Engineer diagnosing the causes of a dump, I want to
see as much as possible of the dump's contents *
PE2:     As a Service Engineer, I want to be able to extract memory from the
dumps and to format it according to a given primitive type;
PE3:     As a Service Engineer, I want to list the result of a search for a
string or sequence of bytes in the dump;

* I think that the following data should be considered the 'dumps contents'

   - date and time the dump was taken
   - platform
   - whether the dump is truncated
   - hostname + ip address
   - installed memory
   - type and number of processors
   - os name and version
   - whether it contains any known managed runtime

   - list the available address spaces
      - for any given address space, get the list of processes therein
      represented
         - for any given process, display the command line
         - for any given process, display the environment
         - for any given process, list the native locks and their statuses
         - for any given process, display the list of modules (executable +
         libraries)
      - for any given module, display the name
            - for any given module, display the table of properties
            - for any given module, display the list of memory sections
               - for any given section, display its name
               - for any given section, display its size
               - for any given section, display its base address
               - for any given section, display its access properties
               - for any given section, display whether it's in the dump or
               not
               - for any given section, display whether it's shared or not
            - for any given module, display the list of symbols
               - for any given symbol, display its name
               - for any given symbol, display its address
            - for any given process, display the pointer size
         - for any given process, display the list of threads
            - for any given thread, display its ID
            - for any given thread, display its table of properties
            - for any given thread, display the contents of its registers
               - for any given register, display its name
               - for any given register, display its value
            - for any given thread, display the list of its stack frames
               - for any given stack frame, display the base pointer
               - for any given stack frame, display the procedure name
               - for any given stack frame, display the procedure address
            - for any given thread, display the list of its stack sections
         - for any given process, display the signal name and number that
         triggered the image
      - for any given address space, get the current process (i.e. the
      process that triggered the dump, if any)

--
Regards

Adam Pilkington