From Christian Glatschke <christ...@glatschke.com>
Subject Re: Tool Prioritisation
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:44:26 GMT
Hi all,

here is my priorisation list:

1. Native Memory Analyser Tool
This should be a tool that collects runtime metrics about leaking and
growing objects.
It can be realized by collecting gc metrics, like heap usage in the Gen
0, 1 and 2, if Gen 2 is growing constantly,
count the number of Objects and there instance names promoted to the Gen
2 space, to identify the memory leak
After a crash the user should get something like a graphical snapshot
about leaking objects.

2. Retrospector

As you know I am working since more than four years in the area of
bytecode monitoring, but on life systems.
I would love to integrate bytecode manipulation during runtime to have
metrics and artefacts after a application crashes for any reasons.
This can include metrics about objects that allocates massive CPU time
or threads.

3. Thread Monitoring

This should include runtime informations about all Threads, like a
snapshot with detailled thread dump informations, at the moment a
application goes down.
Maybe this is part of the Process Explorer?

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Christian Glatschke

1: Process Explorer

> [...]

> >> of interest, useful abstraction of key Java object implementation
> >> specifics
> >>

> Top priority, since this will show people how to use the basic features.
>

> >> 4:  Runtime Investigator
> >>
> >> A program that can examine a dump and provide guidance on common aliments.
> >> This tool will provide analysis modules that can report on such items as
> >> deadlock analysis,  heap occupancy etc The tool will provide extension
> >> points that will allow others to contribute new analysis modules.  Key
> >> characteristics of this tool will include handling large quantities of
> >> data
> >> efficiently  (probably via a query language of some type) , ensuring the
> >> API
> >> is generally consumable by programmers and ensuring the API provides the
> >> data that is actually required to analyze real problems.
> >>

> This could grow into something really cool, almost a separate layer of
> technology on top of the API.  As such I don't think I would do it first,
> but it would be cool.
>

> >> 5: Java Runtime Trend Analyzer
> >>
> >> A tool that can compare multiple dumps and provide trend analysis.  This
> >> tool will provide analysis modules that can report on such items as  heap
> >> growth etc The tool will provide extension points that will allow others
> >> contribute new analysis modules.  Key characteristics of this tool will
> >> include exercising  the creation of well formed dumps,  fast startup time,
> >> correlation between dump objects and handling large quantities of data
> >> efficiently  (probably via a query language of some type) , ensuring the
> >> API
> >> is generally consumable by programmers and ensuring the API provides the
> >> data that is actually required to analyze real problems.
> >>

> Yes, I think this will be a good test of whether we have the right
> interfaces and performs well, and there is a large class of problems that
> are best addressed by analyzing what has changed between two dumps.  Cool.
>

> >> 6: Java Debug Interface (JDI) Connector
> >>
> >> An adapter that allows a Java debugger to interrogate the contents of a
> >> Java
> >> Runtime diagnostic artifact.  This connector will enable similar
> >> capabilities that exist today with other debuggers than can debug
> >> corefiles
> >> or similar process diagnostic artifacts.   This tool will demonstrate  key
> >> characteristics such as effective navigation to areas of interest, useful
> >> abstraction of key Java object implementation specifics and that the API
> >> provides  the data that required to analyze real problems.
> >>

> I'm not sure I understand what extra value this provides versus the
> explorer.  A debugger allows you to
> - explore state
> - modify state
> - control execution
> The first is what the explorer does, and the last two don't apply to dump
> artifacts.  I'm sure I'm missing something...

When I ask Java developers how they would want to see data from a crashed
system presented this is usually top of the list
We'd be producing a connector that allowed a readonly view of the state of
the system.  No ability to modify data and no concept
of allowing continued execution.  Stuart Monteith is interested in this
area  and I've asked him to post something more about the tool and its
usecases.  (In fact I've asked all the team to start threads for fleshing
out these tools!)