From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Incubator quarterly report
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2010 18:01:20 GMT
On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Stuart Monteith <stukato@stoo.me.uk> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>    I've written this years first quarterly report to the Incubator project.
> It is here:
>    http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/March2010#Kato
>
> Please have a read and let me know what you believe is in error or missing.
>
> The report is due to be completed by Wednesday 10th.

sign off

good excuse for pushing on with community building. let's start with
the website. it's fine for a project that's under the radar but kato
needs to start working now to attract a broader community.

here's some questions to get everyone started. just jump in and answer
any that seem interesting. the exercise is more important than the
questions themselves so they don't all need to be answered.

---

"Kato is an Apache Incubator podling and JSR that exists to develop a
standard Java API (JSR-326) designed to support the generation and
consumption of post mortem or snapshot Java diagnostic artefacts."

What does this mean? Take three paragraphs to explain ;-)
Give 3 example use cases for Kata 2.0
Why is post mortem interesting and important?
Describe generation of post mortem or snapshot Java diagnostic
artefacts without using jargon and give 3 key use cases.
Describe consumption of post mortem or snapshot Java diagnostic
artefacts without  using jargon and give 3 key use cases.
What would be the 5 most important definitions in a JSR-326 glossary?

----

Milestone 1
* Who should be interested in:
   * reading about what it can do it?
   * taking it for a spin?
   * seriously using it?
* What are the 5 most interesting features?
* What are the 3 more likely FAQs?
* Describe the archetypical user

Milestone 2 (No promises required)
* Who should be interested in:
   * reading about what it can do it?
   * taking it for a spin?
   * seriously using it?
* What will be the 3 most interesting reasons to upgrade?
* When will it be available?
* What are the 3 more likely FAQs?

(just think about current and next milestones)

----

Release  1.0  (When it's ready, no promises required ;-)
* Who should be interested in:
   * reading about what it can do it?
   * taking it for a spin?
   * seriously using it?
* What will be the 3 most interesting reasons to upgrade?
* When will it be available?
* What are the 10 more likely FAQs?
* Describe 3 archetypical users

----

JSR-326  (When it's ready, no promises required ;-)
* Who should be interested in:
   * reading the specification?
   * using an implementation?
* What will be the 10 most interesting features?
* When will it be available?
* Describe 5 archetypical users

----

- robert