From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spreading the word
Date Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:30:07 GMT
On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Stuart Monteith <stukato@stoo.me.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>    I have been considering our next actions regarding the current release. I
> think it might be worthwhile seeing if we could generate some interest in
> the project now that we have something that is downloadable and runnable by
> all.

IMHO the first place to start is the website. publicity is likely to
be wasted unless this is right. now you have a release, it's time to
start pitching at users and showing developers how to get involved.

t's also important to think about generating the right quantity of
interest at the right time. too much too early is often
counter-productive - users who invest time and effort to be
disappointed may not come back again. let people know about the long
term vision for the project but be honest with the progress so far.
they can then judge when and how much energy to invest.

> This could come under the purview of the PRC (http://www.apache.org/press/),
> shall we contact them with our ideas?

that's an option. they'll do stuff like press releases but IMHO you
need to think about whether that's a good idea right now. if you don't
have much of a story or a buzz then it's likely to be ignored and may
reduce the impact of future releases. (there is some cost to apache
for press releases.) the PPMC would need to think about nominating
some press contacts as well.

if you want to chat about ideas then PRC isn't a good list. better to
ask on general at the incubator.

> I have been considering generating awareness of the JSR and Apache project
> on the Java Posse google group, as there is a large number and a wide
> variety of experts in Java there.

+1

articles also good

- robert