From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Happy New Year - and what do we do next?
Date Tue, 05 Jan 2010 23:54:56 GMT
If there is consensus (no need for a vote, just discussion) that it's
time to make a release, *someone* needs to volunteer to be *release
manager* and actually take control of the release process. [Usually
the release manager creates an svn branch for the release so by
definition it's frozen at that point. Nothing gets added to the
release branch without explicit permission from the release manager.]

Once you have a release manager, there's a process that each team
works out. You can copy others' release process or make your own.
Here's the process that OpenJPA uses. http://openjpa.apache.org/releasing-openjpa.html

It might be too heavyweight but offers some things that you should be
thinking about anyway, like how to stage the release, how to vote,
what to name releases, etc.

Good luck,

Craig

On Jan 5, 2010, at 7:06 AM, Steve Poole wrote:

> Soooo same question ...  Do we just call a vote now?
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 5 Jan 2010, at 13:59, Stuart Monteith <stukato@stoo.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> I second that. I'd like for us to freeze changes to the codebase,
>> except those
>> that are necessary for a release - and for us to do what is
>> necessary to make
>> a release available.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>   Stuart
>>
>> Steve Poole wrote:
>>> Greetings to everyone - hope you all had a good holiday.
>>>
>>> Just trying to get back up to speed.  i did spend some time
>>> working on a
>>> experimental implementation to help with the Snapshot API
>>> discussion.  I'll
>>> share more about that later.
>>>
>>> In the meantime - what do we do next with the release candidate -
>>> do we just
>>> need to call a vote ?
>>>

>> --
>> Stuart Monteith