From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Happy New Year - and what do we do next?
Date Wed, 06 Jan 2010 19:14:54 GMT
Hi Stuart,

On Jan 6, 2010, at 3:07 AM, Stuart Monteith wrote:

> Hello Craig,
>    I have already volunteered to be the release manager,

Then you have already passed the biggest hurdle. ;-)

> although unless you've read through the past couple of months of
> postings you are unlikely to have picked up on that, it's not
> written on our wiki pages. I have taken some tags for the release
> candidates - currently there is only Steve and myself who is
> commiting code. This is our first release, so we are feeling our way.

That is the Apache way. Look around at other projects, especially at
other incubating projects that have made releases. There are several
examples within the past month.

> I've been wanting to get the release done correctly, without any
> nasty ongoing legal problems.

It's unlikely that you will encounter ongoing legal problems. Getting
a release candidate reviewed by the RAT program will expose much of
the legal issues. The rest is making sure that the release bits are
reviewed by the kato team and voted on and then voted on by the
incubator.

> Quoting Robert Donkin from the 14th December:
>
> "i've been floating the idea of a multi-stage audit to try to help
> podlings pass the technical side of their first release without too
> much pain. fancy trying it out?"
>
> I replied yes, it sounded like a good idea, but we've still to get
> details of what that involves.

I'm not sure either. Robert is busy with some schoolwork so you might
inquire on the incubator list to see if he's communicated his ideas
more widely. I don't recall any details.

Regards,

Craig