From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Kato release - comments please
Date Sun, 22 Nov 2009 17:22:50 GMT
On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 11:44 AM, ant elder <ant.elder@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Stuart Monteith <stukato@stoo.me.uk> wrote:

<snip>

(looks like i'm going to be snowed under over the next week with
coursework so i'm not going to be very active)

> From the ASF release perspective it actually looks pretty good to me,
> never the less I'm sure it would be educational to try out the
> multi-stage audit.
>
> Here's a few things i found looking at the artifacts:
>
> - the comment box made from equals characters at the top of the NOTICE
> files is not meant to be included, i know lots of other projects do
> but it was just from misinterpreting an example NOTICE file.
>
> - the commons-lang-2.0.jar in apache-kato-M1-incubating-bin.zip is
> actually using the Apache License version 1.1. If you really need
> version 2.0 of commons-lang then you'd need to include AL 1.1 in the
> Kato LICENSE file, but there are newer releases of commons-lang using
> AL 2.0 you could use.
>
> - there's a few empty readme.html and README.txt files in most of the artifacts.

this is the build process stage: pretty painless. once these are
fixed, then ant could ask on the list for IPMC volunteers to double
check his work.

the other stages are licensing and source audits.

licensing audit should be simple in this case but it takes a while for
licenses to be categorised so advice should be sort any dependencies
which aren't covered as early as possible. this is good general advice
- when adding new dependencies, check whether they have been
categorised and  - if not - get that started immediately.

source audit involves checking that headers are ok and foreign source
correctly credited. you can do this by running RAT against the plain
source. i expect this should be relatively painless in this case.

- robert