From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Kato release - comments please
Date Sun, 22 Nov 2009 11:44:20 GMT
On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Stuart Monteith <stukato@stoo.me.uk> wrote:
> Hello all,
>    Steve and I have been working on getting the codebase ready for a
> release. This is a non-trivial activity with lots of things to get right.
>
> Given the state of the project as it is just now, we can't claim to be doing
> a 1.0 release, instead I'm following the Milestone convention.
>
> I'm not proposing that what I've assembled is submitted as a release
> candidate just yet, as there is still work to do on it.
>
> If you look here, you'll find the files that would make up a release:
>    http://people.apache.org/~monteith/kato/apache-kato-M1-incubating-RC1/
>
> I've also created a tag:
>
>  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/kato/tags/apache-kato-M1-incubating-RC1/
>

> Obvious things that are wrong:
>    apache-kato-M1-incubating-tomcat.demos - packages are undocumented and
> missing some files.
>    The documentation - it needs more work, but I'd be interested in some
> cursory feedback.
>    The CJVMTI agent needs work under Linux - it's missing some information.
>    The TCK is still under development.
>    Some filtering needs to be applied to the rat reports.
>    There are some spurious files, like readme.html.
>
> I have found this a very useful exercise, as this is the first that we've
> packaged the projects contents and seen what it actually includes, so this
> should give everyone a good opportunity to have a look and see.
>

> Regards,
>    Stuart
>
> --
> Stuart Monteith
> http://blog.stoo.me.uk/
>

>From the ASF release perspective it actually looks pretty good to me,
never the less I'm sure it would be educational to try out the
multi-stage audit.

Here's a few things i found looking at the artifacts:

- the comment box made from equals characters at the top of the NOTICE
files is not meant to be included, i know lots of other projects do
but it was just from misinterpreting an example NOTICE file.

- the commons-lang-2.0.jar in apache-kato-M1-incubating-bin.zip is
actually using the Apache License version 1.1. If you really need
version 2.0 of commons-lang then you'd need to include AL 1.1 in the
Kato LICENSE file, but there are newer releases of commons-lang using
AL 2.0 you could use.

- there's a few empty readme.html and README.txt files in most of the artifacts.

   ...ant