incubator-kato-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Kato release - comments please
Date Mon, 30 Nov 2009 18:58:22 GMT

In message <4B06D1CE.60200@stoo.me.uk>, Stuart Monteith writes:
>
> Hello all,
>      Steve and I have been working on getting the codebase ready for a 
> release. This is a non-trivial activity with lots of things to get right.
> 
> Given the state of the project as it is just now, we can't claim to be 
> doing a 1.0 release, instead I'm following the Milestone convention.
> 
> I'm not proposing that what I've assembled is submitted as a release 
> candidate just yet, as there is still work to do on it.
> 
> If you look here, you'll find the files that would make up a release:
>      http://people.apache.org/~monteith/kato/apache-kato-M1-incubating-RC1/
> 
> I've also created a tag:
>      
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/kato/tags/apache-kato-M1-incubating-RC1/
> 
> 
> Obvious things that are wrong:
>      apache-kato-M1-incubating-tomcat.demos - packages are undocumented 
> and missing some files.
>      The documentation - it needs more work, but I'd be interested in 
> some cursory feedback.
>      The CJVMTI agent needs work under Linux - it's missing some 
> information.
>      The TCK is still under development.
>      Some filtering needs to be applied to the rat reports.
>      There are some spurious files, like readme.html.
> 
> I have found this a very useful exercise, as this is the first that 
> we've packaged the projects contents and seen what it actually includes, 
> so this should give everyone a good opportunity to have a look and see.

I had a quick look.  One odd thing I noticed was that several files
have mixed dos and unix line endings:

apache-kato-M1-incubating-src/kato.demo.tomcat/src/main/webapp/OOM.jsp
apache-kato-M1-incubating-src/kato.demo.tomcat/src/main/webapp/OOB.jsp
apache-kato-M1-incubating-src/kato.demo.tomcat/src/main/webapp/deadlock.jsp
apache-kato-M1-incubating-src/kato.demo.tomcat/src/main/webapp/hprofDump.jsp
apache-kato-M1-incubating-src/kato.hprof.api/pom.xml
apache-kato-M1-incubating-src/kato.native/kato.native.vmapi/src/main/native/katovmapi.c
apache-kato-M1-incubating-src/kato.native/kato.native.vmapi/tests/pom.xml
apache-kato-M1-incubating-src/kato.native/kato.native.vmapi/pom.xml

It is probably worth fixing these.

I also tried the cjvmti agent on linux/x86_64 with Harmony.  The first
time I hit break running HelloWorld it created a 724M cdmp file which
caused a crash in the reader.  I tried it again and got a much more
reasonable 5.7M file which could be read okay.  I've still got copies
of these if you want to take a look at them.

Regards,
 Mark.



Mime
View raw message