From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release Often, Release Early [WAS Re: First Release, tutorial]
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:13:59 GMT
On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 9:27 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Stuart Monteith <stukato@stoo.me.uk> wrote:
>
> <snip>

The

>>> release often, release early :-)
>>>
>>> i don't know the code but IMHO it's worthwhile thinking about whether
>>> 'alpha' is really the best description
>>>
>>> for example, IMHO
>>>
>>> * kato-1.0-alpha implies that 1.0 is pretty much done but the code
>>> hasn't had the real life testing required to be sure that the quality
>>> is there. once an alpha is shipped, i would expect the code to be
>>> stable, with just bug fixes until a 1.0
>>> * kato-0.1 implies that kato is short of features and is not mature as
>>> an API but that the code quality is reasonable as far as it goes
>>> * kato-M1 implies that kato is immature and under very active
>>> development but that this milestone offers an island of stability
>>>

>> That last option is the most promising, I'll follow up with what I think we
>> should do.
>
> IIRC apache harmony uses milestones. might be worth taking a look at
> how they do it...
>
> - robert

We're using Mx type releases in Tuscany for the new version two code,
but i've used the other namings for other releases too. There is not
really a  precise definition of what they mean and what I've found is
that which ever you choose someone wont like it or will think it
implies the wrong thing, so just pick something and once you start
doing releases it doesn't matter so much and you can always change the
naming as things progress.

I do encourage "release often, release early", having a binary
available really can help make it easy for other developers to get
going, doing a release will help establish a build structure and the
development of a release process, and its going to take some attempts
to get a release that will pass through the Incubator voting so better
to start now while there's no particular time pressure.

   ...ant