From Stuart Monteith <stuk...@stoo.me.uk>
Subject Re: How is Kato going for graduation?
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:12:16 GMT
Hi Ant,
    The mailing list has been quiet, so I think it would be useful for
us to state where we all think we are. It is the holiday
season, so not everyone will be around - I know Steve Poole is away this
week.

I think we have a lot to do before considering graduating. Ignoring the
administration details, which can always be
done if need be, the areas
(http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Graduating+from+the+Incubator)

in which I believe we are weak are:

 1. Demonstrate an active and diverse development community.
 2. The project is not highly dependent on any single contributor (there
are at least 3 legally independent committers and there is no single
company or entity that is vital to the success of the project)

I think to move towards graduation we need to see a more active
community that consists of more than just the IBM committers. My feeling
is that more work
has to be done to the codebase so that an initial release can be made. I
wouldn't expect there to be much interest until there were usable
binaries that people
could download and run with.

I'm interested in hearing what other people's thoughts are.

Regards,
    Stuart

--
Stuart Monteith