From Stuart Monteith <stuk...@stoo.me.uk>
Subject Re: General Update - initial release
Date Thu, 25 Jun 2009 16:44:19 GMT
Hi,
   I've been looking at what we'd need to do for an initial release.
There is an extensive document that provides guidance for incubator
releases here:
    http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html

I think we should discuss why we'd want to do a release in the first
place. The reasons I can think of are:

    o     The Apache Kato incubator and JSR-326 exist together, having a
release would provide encouragement for people to download
           and actually use our materials and perhaps comment on the JSR
early draft review. However, it isn't necessary for there to be an
official release
            before there is an Early Draft Review of the JSR.

    o      In order to graduate as a project we need to have a
community. Having a release would be good to encourage others to
download and
            use Kato, and hopefully be not-quite satisfied so as to
contribute to the project. Being able to take patches from someone and
eventually
            making them a commiter would be great.

    o     Considering a release will cause necessitate us evaluating the
current state of the project and establish what is required to move the
project
            towards a proper release.

Some of the things we need to consider are:

o Build process - there are certain things we need to produce in a build.
o Documentation - we need some of that.
o Legal - are we clean enough to do a release? Do we know where
everything came from?
o Functionality - do we have enough functionality to be useful?
o Quality - do we have sufficient testing? Is the quality sufficient for
a release?
o Of course, there is the Apache infrastructure to wrangle.

And all of this would be subject to sufficient numbers voting
positively, of course.

As I see it we are:

o Build process - this is a work in progress - Steve is furiously trying
to get maven to meet all our needs.
o Documentation - No question - we need more of this for everything.
o Legal - I don't think we've considered this yet, I don't have a clear
view on this yet.
o Functionality -
    * The hprof implementation of the API is mostly there, but it needs
completion.
    * The JVMTI python implementation is not considered the final
approach - it needs to be rewritten in C.
    * KatoView - is fine, would be good if it was more modular. The
xpath command is a work in progress too.
    * JDI Connector - needs more work to be useful with local variables.
o Quality -
    * The hprof implementation needs more tests, no question. Plus it's
performance is somewhat lacking still.
    * The rest I'm not so sure about.

I'd like to see us in a releasable state. We aren't ready yet though -
I'd like to hear what other people think.

Thanks,
    Stuart