From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Eclipse plugins
Date Fri, 08 May 2009 12:29:07 GMT
On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Adam Pilkington
<pilkington.adam@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,

hi adam

> as part of the process of familiarising myself with JSR 326 and Kato
> I've created a couple of Eclipse plugins that I would like to contribute to
> the project.

cool

> They are usable at the moment, but not quite finished, and I
> would rather have them in a source repository and continue working from
> there rather than my hard disk :-). I've signed that Apache CLA and created
> Jira items for each plugin (granting Apache the rights to the code), but I'm
> not a committer for the Kato project and I'm not exactly sure how the
> process works from here ... ?

(i'm a mentor for kato during incubation. this means i try to help
kato develop into a viable self-organised community. usually, one of
the committers would post something similar but IIRC this is first
time so i'm going to jump in)

if you haven't taken a look yet,
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html is a good place to
start

hopefully one of the committers will take a look at the patch sometime
soon. they should review and - if they are happy - commit it, perhaps
after making a few changes.

(reviewing patches promptly is really important for the health of
apache projects. this is the way that new committers are recruited.)

committers are elected (by the existing committer) based on their
contributions. so, if you continue to submit patches (and learn from
whatever changes happen to be needed) then (on the private list) an
existing committer will propose your name for election. if that vote
passes then you'll be invited to become a committer.

- robert