From Adam Pilkington <pilkington.a...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: How to start using the Image API ?
Date Wed, 13 May 2009 12:50:08 GMT
I've been looking a bit further into the issue of bootstrapping the
ImageFactory and one possible solution is to use the  functionality
which is provided by the javax.imageio.spi.ServiceRegistry class. This
seems to provide a simple mechanism by which a service provider (in
this case an implementation of ImageFactory), can register itself and
then be subsequently invoked. However the one thing that does concern
me is that this mechanism only supports a single service provider
(full details are on the JavaDoc page for ServiceRegistry) and that
could be a problem in a situation where you may want to offer the user
a choice of ImageFactory implementations e.g. an Eclipse plugin
whereby you can highlight a core file and choose which implementation
to analyse it with.

--
Regards

Adam Pilkington