From Adam Pilkington <pilkington.a...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Eclipse plugins
Date Mon, 11 May 2009 10:28:42 GMT
Yes, you are right in that the viewer was an earlier version of the plugin
that subsequently was migrated to an editor. Apologies for not spotting that
and tidying up the code before submitting.

In terms of the plugin interactions between the editor and other views, the
basic theory is as follows. You right click on a core file in the navigator
view and then open it with the hex editor. Once the file is loaded you can
jump to a location within the file or search for a known pattern (either as
text or hex). Having found a point of interest, say the VM process location,
then you add a bookmark for that location. A bookmark is currently a simple
data structure composed of the offset location within the file and a textual
description. The bookmarks are specific to a given file whereby the view
refreshes itself so that the shown bookmarks are in sync with whichever
editor currently has the focus. The eyecatcher view is designed to highlight
known byte sequences in the editor to aid in understanding the file
contents, for example it can highlight the magic number which describes a
dump as being in the ELF format. The idea is that you can create
dictionaires of eyecatchers which you can load and apply to a file being
viewed. However this functionality is not yet complete in the code I
contributed.

The driving force behind the plugin is to not only provide a way of viewing
very large core files (i.e. by providing page views into the dump rather
than attempting to load it all at once as other editors do), but also to aid
in implementing or debugging JSR 326 implementations via the bookmark and
eyecatcher views.

I will document this fully in due course, but hopefully this gives you
enough information in the meantime.

--
Regards

Adam Pilkington