From Adam Pilkington <pilkington.a...@googlemail.com>
Subject How to start using the Image API ?
Date Fri, 08 May 2009 11:34:05 GMT
I've recently been writing some Eclipse plugins to use Kato, in particular a
runtime explorer, and I came across the issue of how you actually start
using the API when the first step is creating an instance of a concrete
implementation of ImageFactory. How do we ensure that we don't end up
building against a particular implementation and also that we can easily add
others at a later point in time. I know that Eclipse provides an extension
mechanism that handles part of this problem but at some point you have to
connect up to the actual implementation of the API (this of course assumes
that Eclipse is being used as the delivery platform rather than something
else).

One possible solution that comes to mind is that we extend the ImageFactory
API to enable provider specific information to be retrieved e.g.
getProviderDescription, getProviderMajorVersion and getProviderMinorVersion.
If we consider an Eclipse based scenario then a particular provider can use
the extension point infrastructure to identify itself to a tool, and then
using the provider information, the toll could give the user the choice of
which one to use.

--
Regards

Adam Pilkington