From Stuart Monteith <stuk...@stoo.me.uk>
Subject Google Analytics - tracking our Website
Date Mon, 18 May 2009 09:23:31 GMT
Hi,
    There has been some discussion about tracking the Apache Kato
website in order to gauge interest in the project, and the effects of
the various things being done to increase that interest. For example,
Adam's Developerworks article, Steve's BOF at JavaOne, etc.

There are a couple of places where stats are available internally, the
most specific is here:

    http://people.apache.org/~vgritsenko/stats/projects/index.html

However, that only has stats for the Incubator project, nothing more
specific.

There have been discussions here for Google Analytics:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200809.mbox/%3C510143ac0809040937r668b38aauf5cc38ecb6e8a76b@mail.gmail.com%3E

To summarise:
    There are Apache projects already using it (e.g. Apache Geronimo)

    The only issue is that the information in the reports has to be open
to everyone on the project.

    The Analytics are for Internal Use only. This is open to
interpretation, and may conflict with the previous point.

    Reports seem best shared by having them periodically sent to our
mailing list by GA.

    It is perhaps questionable that we should be putting webstats
through Google for those concerned about privacy.

    Also: "You must post a privacy policy and that policy must provide
notice of your use of a cookie that collects anonymous traffic data."

There isn't a conclusion to that discussion on the mailing list.

Thoughts?
    Stuart