From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Building kato - external dependencies
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2009 09:48:05 GMT
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 9:21 AM, Steve Poole <spoole167@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all - in building kato and running tests etc  a developer will need to
> have access to junit,  ant and emma.   It would be really convenient to book
> the junit and emma jars into svn  but before I do such a thing I'd like some
> advice.
>
> Other Apache projects seem to do this and keep the jars in a obviously
> seperate path (ie having "external" in the name)    Is there any documented
> guidence for doing this one way or another?

probably not

apache delegates as much as possible to PMCs so there's usually quite
a lot of diversity. asking on the community mailing list would be the
best bet for best practice advice.

the key point is to ensure that everything is ok as far as
http://www.apache.org/legal/ goes. for third party jars, this means
ensuring that they are clearly licensed (i usually check in a
foo-bar-1.1.LICENSE next to foo-bar-1.1.jar) and that any additions
required to NOTICE and LICENSE documents have been made.

- robert