From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2009 13:50:57 GMT
On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Steve Poole <spoole167@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Google opens its doors soon for Summer of Code submissions  (see here
> http://code.google.com/soc/)    ( ASF's standpoint is here
> http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCodeMentor)   Its sounds like a
> great
> way to get students into open source and to get some  ideas into code.I can
> see many places in Kato where we could benefit from the help (and give the
> students a real challenge).
>
> I'm more than happy to provide mentoring to students (done it more than a
> few times) .  However I think apart from our estimed mentors we're  not
> really ready to help students learn about the ways of open source.      Am
> being to conservative ?

There have been GSoC students doing projects relating to Incubator podlings
with mentors from the podling in the past so it is possible. The ASF GSoC
page does suggest mentors should be an Apache member or experienced
committer but I've not seen that strictly policed. There has been talk of
trying to give students multiple mentors, so if you get a student with a
Kato proposal accepted then you can always just recruit another experienced
mentor to help if it becomes an issue - I've been a GSoC mentor in the past
so I can help if came to that.

   ...ant