From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Status of code contribution from IBM
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 14:05:33 GMT

In message <85b044530903161015hd8cfa2dof4c337d8c0b1558a@mail.gmail.com>,
Carmine Cristallo writes:

> Ciao!
> We've committed the code under trunk/import (as specified here:
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#clean-up-best-practice
> )
> Now... our assumption is that the "import" directory is there only to
> contain the initial code contribution, and that we need to do a svn
> copy of the whole thing into trunk to start the actual development, Is
> this correct? In this case, should we also copy the NOTICE and LICENSE
> files from trunk/import into trunk?

You now have kato/trunk/import which means everyone checking out the
working-in-progress code also gets a copy of the original import.  I
doubt very much that this was what was originally intended by the
author of the best practice document.

I'd probably:

  svn move https://.../kato/trunk/import \
           https://.../kato/branches/import

unless one of your mentors has a better suggestion.

Other minor issues I spotted as the commit messages went by ...

org.apache.kato.tools.jdi/src/com/ibm/tools/jdi/DTFJReader.java lines
220 and 263 contain typos of the word 'attempted'.

Some of the */.settings/org.eclipse.jdt.ui.prefs files contain templates
with things like "Property of IBM" which probably wont be appropriate
for new files.

It is probably worth doing:

  svn propset svn:eol-style native filename

on all the text/code files so all developers see line endings
consistently for their OS.  Committers should probably consider using
http://www.apache.org/dev/svn-eol-style.txt to ensure that new files are
created with this property.  The spurious whitespace changes in commit
messages you get if you don't set this can be really misleading so it is
good to get this right from the start.

Congratulations on the first commit.  Nice work.

Regards,
 Mark.