From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Wiki/Webpages
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 20:45:41 GMT
On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Stuart Monteith <stukato@stoo.me.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>   I've been looking at setting up our website and wiki.
>
> The first thing I notice is we don't have a status page from
> http://incubator.apache.org/ (Kato isn't listed).
> There are instructions here: http://incubator.apache.org/guides/website.html
> Shall I go ahead and do this?

+1

give it a go. if you turn out not to have enough karma, create a patch
in JIRA and let either me or ant know.

> I've put some basic content onto the wiki, However, before it be linked to
> from the status page, we'll have to export it.
> Currently we can edit our wiki here:
>   http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KATO/
>
> It is being exported to people.apache.org under
> /www/confluence-exports/KATO.
> Our webpages should live under /www/incubator.apache.org/kato on
> people.apache.org where it will be exposed as
>   http://incubator.apache.org/projects/kato.html

this should link to the status page (i'll fix this)

the actual site will be http://incubator.apache.org/kato

> We should have two sets of files in our website. One will be exported from
> the Wiki, the other set will be gotten
> from other sources, such as from the build of the API's Javadoc.
> The wiki would be copied to a "site" directory, with a top-level index.html
> file redirecting to it.
> The other files would be checked out into another directory on the same
> level as site from subversion.
>
> One thing I'm not clear on is whether or not the exported site from the wiki
> should be checked into subversion - the examples I have seen just rsync.

(i've never used confluence for document so hopefully other more
knowledgable folks will jump in)

this isn't limited to confluence

some projects store their site documentation in subversion, others
don't store the generated results. both systems have pros and cons but
either would work fine.

- robert