From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Wiki choice
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2009 19:45:23 GMT
On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Stuart Monteith <stukato@stoo.me.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,     We have a majority vote (4 +1s out of 6).   If Konstantin and
> Nicholas don't vote by tomorrow, shall I go ahead and ask for a Confluence
> wiki tomorrow?

fine

just a few points for style ;-)

(this is not normative - feel free to develop your own but at least it
might get the community thinking)

there's no need to wait until everyone's voted - indeed anyone in the
community who has an opinion (whether a committer or not) is
encouraged to vote but only some are binding (these are the ones that
count towards the decision).

i would probably have split this into a couple of posts

since Konstantin and Nicholas haven't voted yet, i would probably have
posted one reply saying something like "i'll tally this one no early
that tomorrow noon". it's not so important for votes like this but
some votes (eg releases) may require energy before a vote can be cast
so this encourages any stragglers to cast a vote (even if it's a
+/-0).

it's a good idea to announce the tally by editing the subject to
prefix with [RESULT] eg "[RESULT][VOTE] Wiki choice". it provides a
clear closure.

i tend to list votes against names so that people can jump in just in
case i've miscounted (which sometimes happens on bigger lists). for
example

"i count:

+1 Stuart Monteith (binding)
+1 Sonal Goyal (binding)
+1 Steve Poole (binding)
+1 Carmine Cristallo (binding)

please jump with any corrections before XYZ

that's binding 4 +1's."

but these are just my personal preferences - feel free to innovation

- robert