From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Website [WAS Re: Kato Infrastructure setup - list to discuss]
Date Sun, 11 Jan 2009 20:49:45 GMT
On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Steve Poole <spoole167@googlemail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>   6. We need a website for Kato setup -  I don't have much exposure to the
>   alternatives proposed - which is best ? or do we roll our own?.

the basic rule is that the site needs to be static html (from a server
perspective - javascripts ok but use of cgi etc strictly limited). the
rest is up to the community.

a few common options:

* maven eg http://james.apache.org/
* xslt (anakia) eg http://incubator.apache.org/
* export from confluence eg http://openjpa.apache.org/

the source should be checked into subversion. some projects check the
results as well (there are pros and cons with this approach).

>   Note that
>   we need to publish the API spec (in the form of javadoc pages) and the
>   binaries that we create.

any binaries need to be distributed from the central locations (so
that they are mirrored and backed up by infrastructure). there's some
ceremony associated with publication of binaries at apache: it's an
important events both from a legal and social perspective.

- robert