From "Dietz, Randall" <rand...@dietz.id.au>
Subject PATCH: Kalumet REST API Proof of Concept
Date Sun, 01 Feb 2015 05:44:52 GMT
Hi guys,

I've taken a break on researching JS frameworks to have a look at
implementing a REST-based API on Kalumet that the JS app would interface
with.

The attached patch contains a new Kalumet module called console2, which is
meant to exist alongside the existing console module.  I took this approach
so as to be able to prove the concepts of a REST API using the Jersey
reference implementation of JAX-RS without impacting the remainder of the
Kalumet code base.  That way, if it doesn't work out, it's easily removed.

Key points to consider...

   - I have not modified the master POM at this stage (apart from adding
   reference to the console2 module), so all dependencies have been defined in
   console2 POM.
   - The solution is based on the Jersey JAX-RS reference implementation to
   deliver the REST services
   - Only the User API done at this stage, but fully CRUD functional.
   - Security filter in place but not implemented
   - Includes full Junit testing of the services to a memory-based container
   - Took a bit of work to get this going, but now that the foundations are
   set, remaining services will be relatively easy.
   - Whatever JS app is used will fit into the console2 structure (and
   resulting WAR file), so when the app is done it will be easy to replace the
   current console implementation.

Time to get some feedback from you guys before I spend any more time on
it... what do you think of what I've done?

I'm also curious if the Junit tests will run under the Kalumet CI... I'll
have to eventually set up a test environment if I end up being part of this.

cheers -- Randall