incubator-kafka-dev mailing list archives

From Jun Rao <jun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: skype meeting on replication roadmap
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 19:11:36 GMT
Hi, everyone,

So far, the following people have sent me their skype id:

Joe, David, Jeffrey, and Andrew.

So the meeting is on. I encourage everyone to look at the design doc in
kafka-50 and the new wire format at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/New+Wire+Format+Proposalbefore
the meeting.

Here is a breakdown of all the jiras and their dependencies related to the
replication work:

1. kafka-47: create/delete data structures in ZK, automatically create
topic, and use them (making partitions logical, supporting only 1 replica,
no failure support). (L1)
  1.1 kafka-237: create/delete ZK path for a topic in an admin tool (L0)
  1.2 kafka-238: add a getTopicMetaData method in broker and expose it to
producer
  1.3 kafka-239: Wire existing producer and consumer to use the new ZK data
structure
2. kafka-202: decouple request handler and socket sever; enabling long poll
in the consumer (L1)
3. kafka-240: implement new producer and consumer request format (L1)
4. kafka-49: add ack to ProduceRequest (L2). depending on #3
5. kafka-48: long poll in consumer (L2). depending on #2
6. kafka-44: commit thread, replica fetcher thread (L3). depending on #1,
#4, #5
7. kafka-45: broker starting up, leader election (L3). depending on #1
8. kafka-46: various ZK listeners (L3). depending on #1
9. kafka-43: move master to preferred replica when possible (L4).
optimization
10. kafka-42: rebalance partition with new brokers (L4). extra feature

Thanks,

Jun