incubator-kafka-dev mailing list archives

From David Ormsbee <d...@datadoghq.com>
Subject ZooKeeper-based Producer behavior before there are topics
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 14:34:58 GMT
Hi folks,

I'm implementing ZooKeeper support in our Python client, and I was
wondering what the expected behavior of the Producer is when the brokers
are completely empty. At this point, the brokers have registered themselves
in /brokers/ids/[0..N], but there are no topics registered under
/brokers/topics. If someone wants to create a Producer at this point and
start sending messages to a new topic, is that an error because no brokers
are registered for that topic? Or should I just make the initial assumption
that all brokers have one partition, send messages to those to create the
topic on the brokers, and then readjust when the the brokers publish their
partitions-per-topic information to ZK after the initial writes?

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here, since we'd run into a similar
problem for new, empty brokers joining the pool.

As an aside, is there any way to query metadata about the broker directly?
So that a simple consumer might be able to ask a broker for what topics
they have, how many partitions, what version it's running, etc? Or is that
only ever published through ZooKeeper?

Thank you.

Dave