From Florian Holeczek <flor...@holeczek.de>
Subject Re: archiving our wiki
Date Tue, 22 May 2012 21:44:28 GMT
Hi Carol,

you could give some website download tool like HTTrack a try.

But which format is more interoperable and timeless than simple text like wiki text is? I'd
simply archive the page and attachment repository and maybe add a copy of the current wiki
server installation.

Regarding printer-friendliness, there's an inherent problem: Wikis are hypertext, which is
not in a linear form like printed text. It's hard to serialize hypertext for printing it out
in an order that makes sense, at least in general and without further semantic markup.

Another possibility which just came to my mind is (mis-)using the JCR export tool. It's producing
XML, which could then probably be XSL-transformed into a suitable format. However, keep in
mind that this is just a helper tool which was written for migrating a wiki to a future JCR
backend.

Regards
 Florian

----- Urspr√ľngliche Mail -----
Von: "Carol Hassler" <Carol.Hassler@wicourts.gov>
An: jspwiki-user@incubator.apache.org
Gesendet: Dienstag, 22. Mai 2012 22:58:20
Betreff: archiving our wiki

My organization would like to archive/export our wiki in some kind of end-user friendly format.
The concept is to copy the wiki contents annually to a format that can be used on any standard
computer in case of an emergency (i.e. saved as an HTML web-style archive, saved as PDF files,
saved as Word files).

Another way to put it is that we are looking for a way to export the contents of the wiki
into a printer-friendly format - to a document that maintains some organization and formatting
and can be used on any standard computer.

Is anybody aware of a tool out there that would allow for this sort of mass export? Our wiki
is large and we would prefer not to do this type of export one page at a time.

Thanks!