From Brian Burch <br...@PingToo.com>
Subject Re: link to local file
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:08:09 GMT
On 19/07/10 11:25, Gavin Goldsmith wrote:

> Hi
>
> As I recall, from a security point of view, a browser isn't allowed to
> access a local file system. Thus, this isn't (shouldn't be) possible.

If you are on linux, it is possible but it takes a bit of wriggling to
get round this basic security constraint which applies to all webapp
containers.

I've done it with tomcat. I can't remember the details of defining a
symlink and permitting it to be followed by a webapp, but the steps are
documented on the tomcat web site. You'll also find it documented as
part of my PhotoCollection jspWiki contributed plugin, so search our
wiki and you'll find out my recipe which tell you enough to do it.