From Juergen Weber <webe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contributed Plugins License
Date Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:26:46 GMT

Janne Jalkanen wrote:

>> I think finally Contributed Plugins should also be together with JSPWiki
>> sources on Apache servers. I guess that means contributions have to be
>> Apache licensed, anyway.
>
> Well, eventually they would have to be Apache-licensed if we wanted to
> distribute them.
>
>> I understand contributors would have to sign Individual Contributor
>> License
>> Agreement.
>
> This is correct.  However, in Apache lingo "Contributor" is the guy who
> actually contributes code which eventually ends up in the Apache SVN.
>
>> In the mean time I'd suggest to put this text on the Contributor Wiki
>> page:
>> -----
>> As JSPWiki is under Apache license we ask you to put your contributed
>> plugins under Apache license, too. So other JSPWiki users can legally use
>> your plugins together with JSPWiki.
>>
>> You might also consider create a project for your plugin on
>> code.google.com,
>> java.net or another hoster for open source project and link to it from
>> here.
>> -----
>
> That's incorrect. ASL only governs distribution, not use.  So you can use
> whatever code you want together with JSPWiki, no matter how it's licensed.
> However, the Apache JSPWiki project can only put stuff in the SVN which
> has been licensed under the ASL, and the contributor has signed a Software
> Grant or a Contributor License Agreement.

You're right.
Still, I guess most people uploading plugins don't think about licensing, so
I think if the Wiki page suggests / prods to use Apache license, people will
do it. And this ends with more Apache licensed code which is a good thing.
If you are a tiny software shop and build something on JSPWiki, you cannot
distribute JSPWiki with GPLed plugins. Even if you are a daughter company of
a BigCorp giving the software to BigCorp is distribution.

> But it might be a nice idea to start a separate project on one of the
> places you mention to gather the plugins into a single place and help
> building code which is not directly maintained by JSPWiki committers.
>
> /Janne

.. and this java.net JSPWiki  Plugins drop box project could have Apache
license by default.
So a good plugin could finally move into Apache svn.
8-)