From Juergen Weber <webe...@gmail.com>
Subject Contributed Plugins License
Date Fri, 18 Dec 2009 15:17:20 GMT

While JSPWiki itself is strict that only Apache licensed code is included
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JSPWIKI-545) this is different for
Contributed Plugins.
Some plugins are binary only, some contain their source, but almost none
contain any hint of a distribution license. I think this is an
unsatisfactory state of affairs.

I suggest that there be a hint concerning the licenses at
http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/ContributedPlugins#section-ContributedPlugins-QuestionsAndTips

A strict way were to only approve Apache compatible Licenses, this would de
facto force contributors to put their plugins under Apache license and
include source code. This would have the advantage that you could easily
take a plugin into core.

Or one would ask contributors to explicitly state a License, e.g.
commercial, Apache, ...

Or one could disable Attachments altogether for the Wiki page and force
contributors to attach their contributions to a JIRA (one for all or a new
one for each attachment) as source code. I believe in the JIRA attachment
form you have to license attachments to Apache.

What do you think?
Thanks,
Juergen