From Harry Metske <harry.met...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JSPWiki Future and Roadmap post v2.8.2
Date Thu, 30 Jul 2009 16:34:06 GMT
2009/7/30 supernovachild <supernovachild@gmail.com>

> Hi Guys
>
> I'm an avid fan of JSPWiki, but I'm concerned about it's future with it
> being part of the Apache incubator project
>
> The reasons are:
>
> - Edits on jspwiki seem to be slowing down

the last couple of months have been rather quiet, this is mainly due to the
fact that some of the main contributors have had other priorities (family
expansion, marriage, vacation and so on). Also, I think summertime with nice
weather is a cause.

> - No-one has been contributing Templates. When I started using JSPWiki at
> ver 2.0.x there where a whole bunch and then it slowed down. By ver 2.6
> no-one was contributing any more

see other comments...., I'm only involved since about 2 years...

> - The same applies to the plugins

I think we are fairly complete for basic functions, if there are
requirements for other plugin functionality people can enter JIRA issues.
Contribution of plugins is indeed low the last year, I can't explain why.

> - The http://incubator.apache.org/jspwiki/ site seems very lean and
> nothing
> much seems to be going on

as Janne already pointed out, this is due to the incubating process and our
documentation issue, we made this site very basic, pointing over to the
current wiki's (which are much easier to maintain).

> - The JIRA site seems to have items logged in 2008 with no resolution

yep, we surely could use more good developers picking up bugs and feature
requests....
the most coding time is currently spent (I guess) in getting 3.0 up to the
basic functioning (Stripes + JCR) and the promotion to an ASF top level
project, leaving not much time left for JIRA issues.

> Having said all of this; the number & frequency of subversion commits seems
> to be fairly ok which might indicate that their is perhaps nothing to fear?
> :)
>
> I know the more people helping on a project the better. Unfortunately I can
> only be an avid user and fan and not contribute due my hectic work and 60+
> hours weeks.
>
> If we the fans have nothing to fear, may I be so bold as to ask the team to
> stick something on the main page of jspwiki.org as well as the incubator
> page explaining that there is nothing to fear and that the project is alive
> and kicking. Also (I'm not sure if this is somewhere), do you have any idea
> of the release roadmap concerning rough dates... i.e. from 2.8.3 to 3.0 to
> 3.1?
>

> Thanks Guys
>
> A major fan
>
> Greg