From Roland Whitehead <rol...@quru.com>
Subject Re: Tracking development process in the wiki?
Date Sat, 27 Jun 2009 08:35:20 GMT
On 26 Jun 2009, at 19:37, Bob Paige wrote:

> The problem is this: I'll be working on a software task that has a
> number of
> steps (design, code, test, deploy, release-note, etc.) and get side-
> tracked
> by another issue which has its own sequence of steps. Eventually all
> this
> needs to be wrapped up into a release. There are multiple developers
> working
> on multiple projects that have their own inter-dependencies.
>
> Are any of you tracking this type of flow in a wiki? If not, what
> are you
> using to track it all?

We do this in the most simple way that we can. We lay out a project in
the wiki using tabbed-sections describing each stage and what is
needed. We have a simple indicator of the status of each project in a
summary table (we could use a graph to make it visually more exciting
but really only have the one project Gantt chart developed with the
excellent GanttProject in our proposals to our clients) and then
simply write the details of bugs etc that are still outstanding; when
a bug is closed, its removed from the outstanding issues tab to the
done tab. We link in separate pages for related work so have an easy
reference when preparing for release.

The only thing that we don't use the Wiki for is tracking time and
issues from customers.

No automated workflow. No project planning software.

Roland
--
QURU Ltd, London