From Janne Jalkanen <janne.jalka...@iki.fi>
Subject Re: JspWiki in clustered environment
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 10:39:55 GMT
> could be changed to something like http://bigwiki.org/page/SomePage/GET
> to get a read-only copy, http://bigwiki.org/page/SomePage/EDIT to get an
> editable copy, http://bigwiki.org/page/SomePage/POST to send an updated
> copy, http://bigwiki.org/page/SomePage/DELETE to delete the page, and so
> forth.

I think you may have misunderstood REST a bit.

If you make any state-transitory commands available using GET, your DB
will be wiped out in a few seconds by any crawler which happens by ;-)

REST is more than mangling URLs in a particular way. You could
trivially put mod_rewrite in front of JSPWiki and change the URLs to
look like you suggested above, and the design would not be any more
restful than it currently is right now.

> Together with this change JSPWiki could generate an ETag (see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_ETag) for each wiki page that is
> changed only when the source wiki page changes.

JSPWiki does not generate ETags simply because if the page content
contains any dynamic data (e.g plugins) you would get stale data. A
good example is RecentChanges - the page content never changes, yet it
rarely stays the same.

It would need some rather complicated logic to figure out whether the
page HTML content has actually changed if you want to avoid
re-rendering the content.

In addition, ETags have nothing to do with clustering, really :-)

We *do* return a 304 properly for RSS feeds though.

/Janne