From Murray Altheim <murra...@altheim.com>
Subject Re: headers and anchor's
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2009 05:19:17 GMT
As a curious bit of history, I wrote about this in 2001 (how time
flies!), with plans for a JSPWiki plugin based on some purple
number code I'd written as part of a different project based on
monthly meetings of the Bootstrap Institute at SRI:

    http://osdir.com/ml/java.jspwiki.user/2006-02/msg00034.html

This has some links into purple number history for those interested,
also see

   An Introduction to Purple, Eugene Eric Kim
   http://www.eekim.com/software/purple/purple.html

   Purple Numbers on Wikipedia
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Numbers

Murray

Murray Altheim wrote:
> Konstantin Chekushin wrote:
>> Just have installed 2.8.1...
>> And found this one it changes:
>> -----------
>> * 2.8.1-svn-3               * [JSPWIKI-288] Each heading now has an
>> anchor link after
>> it.
>>         -----------
>> Is it possible to turn off this feature?
>
> This is similar to the "purple links" feature developed as part of
> Doug Engelbart's Bootstrap Institute, a means of linking at a
> paragraph level. This is important if you are trying to refer to
> a section of a page.
>
> Rather than altering the code to turn it off, simply set the CSS
> stylesheet for the links to 'display:none'. You can even provide
> this as a separate skinned stylesheet and let your users
> individually switch it on and off (I've had to create skins for
> IE users many times since a lot of things that work in Firefox
> I could never reliably get working in IE).
>
> Murray

Murray Altheim <murray09 at altheim dot com>                       ===  = =

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record