From Janne Jalkanen <janne.jalka...@iki.fi>
Subject Re: Rss and authentication
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2009 12:59:25 GMT
> Albeit the obvious drawback is that in this case the rss would have to
> be generated or filtered on the fly.
>
> a) generation on the fly would probably be simpler - just taking down
> credentials to rss generation (generateFullWikiRSS - or variant)
> b) filtering also would probably not be too difficult. Just removing
> checks on credentials withing generateFullWikiRSS (assuming if the wiki
> is managed to handle only authenticated users the rss.rdf can be
> protected for direct access as well) and adding a filter in the serving
> page.

Performance can be a problem.  /rss.rdf on jspwiki.org is hit quite
often (RSS readers go there every 10 minutes or so), and if, for every
single hit, we need to serve a non-cacheable response (since the feed
would be different for everyone, based on their permissions), it would
be quite a heavy hit.

/Janne