From "Hobbs, Joseph" <Joseph.Ho...@53.com>
Subject RE: permissions question
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2008 14:23:29 GMT
Not anymore.  I just dug through this the other day, so I had the data
handy :-)

Joseph Hobbs
Lead Technology Architect
Enabling Technologies : Technical Services
Fifth Third Bank
Phone : (513) 534-5908
Fax : (513) 534-3408
Email : Joseph.Hobbs@53.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Paige [mailto:bobpaige@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 9:07 AM
To: jspwiki-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: permissions question

Janne,

Thanks for the links. BTW, that last one (WikiPermissions) is blank :)

--
Bobman

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Janne Jalkanen
<Janne.Jalkanen@ecyrd.com>wrote:

> Unfortunately the page at http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/PermissionTag
>
> is woefully out of date.  Please see
>
> http://doc.jspwiki.org/2.8/wiki/Security
> http://doc.jspwiki.org/2.8/wiki/PagePermissions
> http://doc.jspwiki.org/2.8/wiki/WikiPermissions
>
> (We would need someone to really go through all pages and figure out
what
> is obsolete and what is not - we moved documentation to
doc.jspwiki.orgquite a while ago, but loads of old pages still remain.)

> /Janne
>

> On Dec 3, 2008, at 19:56 , Bob Paige wrote:
>
>  Up til now we have one JSPWiki in-house for use by development. But
now we
>> are finding that some of the assumptions made by engineering need to
be
>> documented for customer service (CS) and the trainers. These
assumptions
>> are
>> being documented in the dev wiki, but we are looking for the best way
>> make them available to CS and I'd like opinions.
>>
>> Optimally, I restrict which pages the CS people can see by some rule.
>> Since
>> I am planning on a single "CustomerService" page as the entry-point
for CS
>> people, fashioning a rule that only allowed them to see pages that
link to
>> the "CustomerService" page would be good.
>>
>> Option 1: send 'em a link
>> The simplest thing to do would be to show them where the wiki is and
have
>> at
>> it. As long as they don't login, they can't change anything.
>>
>> The downside to this approach is that CS may stumble upon
dev-oriented
>> wiki
>> pages which could lead to more questions ("what does this mean?") or,
>> worst-case, CS tells the customer something based on their
(potentially
>> flawed) intrepetation of what they find there.
>>
>> Option 2: assign permissions on each page
>> This page (http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/PermissionTag) says you can
only
>> specify edit permissions, and what I would want is the ability to
indicate
>> which pages the CS person could view
>>
>> Downsides:
>> - doesn't seem to provide what I need
>> - would require adding the permission to every page I want excluded
>>
>> Option 3: write a filter
>> I could write a filter that does what I described above; if the page
>> doesn't
>> link to the "CustomerService" page, don't let them see it.
>>
>> Downside:
>> - gotta write the filter (not too hard)
>> - if we want the CS people to add pages in the future, how well would
this
>> work?
>>
>> Option 4: separate wiki
>> I could easily create a separate wiki for the CS people.
>>
>> Downside: dev people would have to switch to the other wiki to create
the
>> pages for it, which goes against my whole motivation in doing this.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> --
>> Bobman

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be privileged.
  It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you receive this e-mail in error,
please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient,
any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited.
Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected.
After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this
error is appreciated.