From Kalle Kivimaa <kalle.kivi...@iki.fi>
Subject Re: JSPWiki + Ubuntu
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2008 12:12:25 GMT
Kristian Rink <kawazu@zimmer428.net> writes:
> Personally, seeing too many "badness" arising from distribution specific
> packaging of Java and related technologies, so far I have come to a
> conclusion of not to use any of these off .debs anyhow but rather use the
> "plain" versions in all these cases

The point of having distribution packages is that then you have a
nicely similar way of configuring your software. Eg. in Debian, *all*
configuration resides in /etc, so there's /etc/jspwiki with
jspwiki.properties, web.xml, etc. The actual software is then in
/usr/share/jspwiki and the documentation in /usr/share/doc/jspwiki,
just like in any other Debian package. Makes it a lot easier to find,
than to try to remember that "OK, this is a WAR, so it's probably in
/usr/share/jspwiki/WEB-INF, no, there is nothing there, maybe it is
then /var/lib/jspwiki, no, OK, let's see Tomcat's config."

Plus you can use the distribution configuration tools to configure
JSPWiki.

--
* Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology (T.P)  *
*           PGP public key available @ http://www.iki.fi/killer           *