From Janne Jalkanen <Janne.Jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: jspwiki questions
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2008 18:25:44 GMT
> See  http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/ReferringUndefinedPagesPlugin
> Looking at the history of this page: the Plugin was written by Gregor
> Hagedorn, and there was no objection against taking this in as a core
> plugin.
> However, it is still not in the core , I don't know why (anyone
> else any
> idea ?), looking at the source I don't see any objection, and we
> probably
> could add it to the core and support it.

Nobody has driven it into the core.  And now we would need to resolve
the ASF licensing issues as well.

> I think this also is a result of the fact that we do not normalize
> page
> names correctly at the moment ?

Yes.  Page name normalization is a good question, and I'm not at all
sure what the best strategy on that should be.

> I have no experience with this, but ReferenceManager does not
> anticipate
> that, also some plugins use caching techniques that do not
> anticipate this
> (but you can disable this caching via oscache.properties.)

This is correct.  Changing the DB outside of JSPWiki is pretty much
something that is not guaranteed to work - however, we do try to
recover if it is detected.

> Making JSPWiki fully "cluster aware" is a design issue, I don't
> know if that
> is considered in 3.0, anyone else ?

Sort of.  Clustering and HA are mostly a function of the backend, and
if the backend supports that, then the upper layers should support it
too.  I don't know whether any JCR backends support clustering,
though.  But I think we should change at least the ReferenceManager
into using the repo as well, so the storage is persisted.  Same goes
for variables, obviously.

I am less sure about the SearchManager, since it's better to have the
search indexes locally (and we have better control directly with
Lucene than through the XPath search API anyway).

/Janne